Huggins High School Science Seminar

Who teaches the courses?

All courses are taught by experienced Acadia University faculty. Your Instructor will be available to you by phone or email, as well as through the online course management system.

What does open-entry mean?

Open-entry means that there are no particular registration or start times (ex. monthly, semesters); you can register whenever you’d like and begin shortly thereafter, once your registration has been processed. You’ll usually have up to 6 months to complete your course, but, generally, the pace is up to you.

Are all courses open-entry?

Most of our courses are open-entry, self-paced courses. However, please note that some online courses are term-based, with specific interactive group activities that are dependent on scheduling set by the Instructor. This will be indicated in the course details and description.

Do I have to be an Acadia student to take your courses? What if I’m enrolled at another university?

Anyone is welcome to take our online courses; you will have to apply to Acadia as a part time/distance learner, but each year, many students from other universities in Nova Scotia and beyond choose to take online courses from Acadia.

Can I transfer my credits to another university?

Yes, most other Canadian universities will accept Acadia University credits. If you’re currently enrolled at another institution or have decided where you may wish to transfer your credits, we recommend you contact the institution to verify details and applicability. If you apply with a Letter of Permission, the credit is transferred when you finish your course.

Do online courses count towards my GPA?

Online courses are measured in the same credit-hours as campus courses, and they count towards completion of your degree requirements. They are included in your transcript in the same way any other credit course is.

What’s Open Acadia? What is its relationship with the university?

Open Acadia is a department of Acadia University dedicated to offering flexible programming and learning opportunities to Acadia students and the greater community. As part of this mandate, we provide a diverse array of programming including Acadia’s online courses, Spring & Summer courses, Professional Development, Lifelong Learning, and more.

What is required to register?

You’ll need to be admitted to Acadia for part-time study, and fill out a brief registration form. You must also pay course fees before you begin your study. Please see the documents on our Admission & Registration page, and contact us if you have any questions.

When can I start? When will my registration be confirmed?

The registration process usually takes about 1 week. Approval to take the course may be required if you are in a degree program at Acadia University.

You can begin your course any time after your registration has been confirmed. You will receive an email confirmation.

If you are ordering textbooks frome the Acadia University bookstore, allow at least a week for delivery.

What if I want to complete my course in less than three months?

You should discuss this with your instructor first. Most of our instructors are full-time Acadia faculty with other teaching commitments. They may not be able to meet your timelines.

I have a busy schedule. How long do I have to complete the course?

Typically, you have up to 6 months to complete a credit course, but you may apply for a course extension. Note, however, that some online courses are term-based, with interactive, group activities that necessarily make them less flexible with respect to scheduling.

Can I register for more than one course at a time?

Yes. If you are a full-time Acadia University student, however, there may be some limits on how many courses you can take during the summer or in addition to your typical fall/winter course load. Please contact Open Acadia or your academic advisor for details.

How do I order my textbooks?


When and how will I receive my final grade?

You will be notified by email when your grade has been submitted. You can access your grade by logging your account on the Acadia Central website. It cannot be given to you by e-mail or over the phone.

How do I write my exams if I’m not near the Acadia University campus?

Acadia allows examinations to be proctored at other educational institutions. If you are in a remote area, other proctors may be considered. Contact our office for assistance.

If I need technical assistance with my online course, what should I do or whom do I contact?

You should contact our technical assistant directly at (902) 585-1139 or e-mail our support staff.

Can I use library resources, and how can I borrow books if I don’t live in the area?

The Vaughan Memorial Library provides service to distance education students. More information is available in the Student Handbook you will receive with your course material, or at the library's web site.

Where can I find information on Acadia's Master of Education programs and application forms and procedures?

Calendar information, admissions requirements, application procedures and deadlines are all available on the Graduate Studies website. Application forms are available here. Please refer to website information before forwarding inquiries to the School of Education.

Where can I find information about Acadia's online and distance offerings for the Master of Education programs and information about non-degree study?

Acadia offers a number of graduate education courses and programs for students through a variety of on-line and distance delivery modes. These modes include on-site cohorts (generally arranged through school boards and located in a variety of sites within the province) as well as on-line access. As of yet, we do not guarantee that any graduate program in education is entirely available on-line; part-time students at a distance and not in a cohort generally need to be available to take some summer and/or evening courses on-site in order to complete the program. Nonetheless, Acadia continuously offers a number of graduate courses on-line. Information about available courses, applications for Independent student status (to take a course without or before admission to a graduate program), and about current cohorts are available on our cohorts page.

Can I take the M.Ed. program at a distance?

All graduate education students should be aware that their degree will normally include a combination of face-to-face and on-line courses. Full-time students will take a majority of courses face-to-face, but as the School of Education is a leader in learning and technology, they will normally be expected to take at least one course on-line so that they have direct distributed learning experiences. Face-to-face courses are offered through a variety of models including: three hours once a week over 12 weeks; 4 weekends (Friday night and Saturday); 6 Saturdays; or two and three week intensive courses in the summer intersession.

The M.Ed. (Counselling) program is not offered on-line due to the nature of the core courses in Counselling. It is offered on a part-time basis through cohorts located in various sites in the Province, as well as both full-time and part-time on campus.

What information should my application Letter of Intent contain?

The letter of intent should include the nature and focus of study you wish to pursue in a graduate program. It should also include a discussion of relevant academic study and professional experience related to your program interests. Those applying to the counselling program should outline their motivations and expectations in reference to the counselling program.

I am having difficulty obtaining an academic reference - my undergraduate degree was conferred a long time ago. How do I proceed?

Applicants whose undergraduate degree was conferred ten or more years ago, or who have a Master's degree may substitute a professional reference for the academic reference. All other applicants must provide an academic reference. File processing is slowed when our staff must contact applicants to request missing information. School of Education faculty will not assess an incomplete application.

How closely must applicants meet the two-year teaching or related experience admission requirement? Can study be considered related experience?

The graduate application process is competitive. Applicants must adhere to the two-year teaching or related experience requirement. Study is not considered related work experience.

Are international students admitted to M.Ed. programs in the School of Education?

International students are encouraged to apply for graduate study in the School of Education. There are additional admission requirements for international students, and you are asked to carefully review the documents.

Acadia provides support for international students through the Wong International Centre.

When will I be notifed of the outcome of my application to a M.Ed. program?

Assessment of applications by School of Education faculty will begin only once the program application deadline has passed. M.Ed. Counselling application files are assessed during the month of February and in early March. Short-listed counselling applicants are normally interviewed in March and April. Applications for all other programs are assessed after March 15. For programs other than Counselling, applications that arrive after March 15 will be considered if space is available. The Office of Research and Graduate Studies will inform each applicant of the outcome of their application, usually by the end of April.

I was offered admission to a M.Ed. program. Can I defer my admission to the following year?

The School of Education may defer approval of M.Ed. program entry to the following year for programs other than the Counselling program. Requests to defer approval of program entry must be made within 30 days of the date of the applicant's current offer of admission. Prior to March 15 of the year in which they wish to enrol applicants are required to supply an admission application form, an updated resume, and transcripts of any coursework taken during the previous year.

What financial support is available for graduate students?

Information about Acadia Graduate Assistantships is available through the University's office of Research and Graduate Studies. Application for this financial support is made concurrent with your application for graduate study.

Since admission to M.Ed. programs takes place only once a year (in the early spring) can I take courses before being admitted to a program and count them toward the program?

Students may take up to 12 credit hours (4 courses) as independent students (see 2 above) to be counted toward a graduate program upon admission to the program. However, admission as an independent student does not guarantee admission to the program, and in the case of the M.Ed. Counselling program, all core courses are restricted to students already admitted to the program. Nonetheless, if you meet the admission requirements for an M.Ed. program and believe your application is solid, you may consider beginning by taking a course as an independent student. Independent students are admitted to courses on a space availability basis. Two courses are either required or appropriate electives for all M.Ed. programs and are suitable for IND (independent) students. They are: EDUC 50G3 (Research Literacy) and EDUC 5303 (Principles of Assessment).

What electives are appropriate in my program?

The School of Education does not routinely provide advice concerning the choice of electives. Any programme-specific requirements or restrictions are noted in the calendar; in the absence of any such limitations you may assume that an elective which complements your area of study is suitable.

Can graduate education courses taken at another university count toward my M.Ed. at Acadia?

Students are permitted to transfer a maximum of 12 credit hours of graduate courses from other universities. If the course(s) has not already been taken, a form entitled "Application for Transfer Credit: is to be completed. If the course(s) has already been completed, a form entitled "Application for Graduate Education Transfer Course" is to be completed. Forms are available at Acadia Central. Download and complete this form, attach the relevant course syllabus or syllabi to it (we do not accept brief calendar descriptions), and mail it (or fax it) to the Graduate Coordinator (see contact information below). The Coordinator makes a recommendation to the Registrar's Office, copying it to the student's file. Principles informing transfer credits:

  • Transfer credits are only accepted from universities that have full-time graduate faculties in Education.
  • Credits can be transferred only if students are registered in a graduate program at Acadia.
  • Courses can be transferred only if they have not been used to satisfy the requirements for another degree or diploma elsewhere.
  • Courses transferred need to make sense in terms of the student's program at Acadia. Transfer is not automatic, i.e., it requires approval.
  • In the case where a student is applying to transfer a credit to replace a mandatory course, the course syllabus is sent by the Coordinator to an appropriate faculty member for assessment. The general principle guiding transfers in this case is that the course elsewhere must be "essentially the same" as the mandatory course it replaces.

If I have taken a course in another graduate program which fulfills the requirements for a similar required course in my program at Acadia, can I get a waiver for the required course?

In the case where a required course is essentially the same as a course a student has taken in another graduate program, students may request a waiver of that course, to then be replaced by an elective course in the student's program at Acadia. Application for a waiver must be made in writing to the Graduate Coordinator, accompanied by a course syllabus, and an official transcript (unless this transcript is already in the student's file). The Coordinator makes a recommendation on the waiver in consultation with an appropriate faculty member, and copies the recommendation to the Registrar, the student's file and to the student.

Can I count significant professional development work as a credit in my M.Ed.?

Students registered in a graduate program are permitted to do 120 hours of professional development activities in lieu of a regular course. Once done, they complete a form entitled "Application for University Credit Equivalent for Workshop, Seminar or Other Training Program." Please refer to the Education Explorations Form. Students will forward the form, as part of a complete package containing certificates of completion and supporting letters, to the School of Education for review and approval. Be sure to state your 9-digit Acadia ID number, your program of study, and your cohort (if applicable). Students will receive a follow up e-mail instructing them to register in EDUC 5143 - Educational Explorations.

The following principles guide credit in Educational Explorations (EDUC 5143):

  • The PD must be voluntary. Students cannot use PD hours that are required of them as part of their job or that are done on mandatory PD days (such as provincial in-service day in October).
  • The PD must total 120 hours. This is a combination of in-class and out-of-class time, such as would be required for assignments and outside reading.
  • In most cases, the 120 hours of PD must be completed while students are registered in a graduate program at Acadia, i.e., they cannot use workshops or other activities they have done prior to entering one of our graduate programs (see exceptions below).
  • The PD must be documented and verified. Documentation can include certificates provided for workshops, etc, or descriptions of programs that have been verified (signed) by a supervisor.
  • Students must register in, and pay for, EDUC 5143 once it has been approved by the Coordinator.

Exceptions (i.e., accepted even if done prior to graduate program entry):

  • Module One plus any other two modules offered by the Nova Scotia Educational Leadership Consortium (NSELC).
  • Module One (NSELC) plus the Annapolis Valley Regional School Board Leadership Development Program (signed certificate required).
  • Module One (NSELC) plus the Halifax Regional School Board Leadership Development Program (signed certificate required).
  • The Program for Aspiring and New Program Support (PAN PST) offered by the South Shore Regional School Board plus any two modules offered by NSELC.
  • A registered Reading Recovery program completed within the last seven years.
  • AVRSB Resource Teacher training programs.
  • Participation in a school accreditation as a co-chair.

What things do I need to do as I move closer to graduation?

  • Review your progress against the requirements stated in your calendar of entry and keep your Program Planner form updated. The School of Education does not evaluate individual programs to determine readiness to graduate.
  • Apply to graduate.
  • If you require a letter confirming completion of degree requirements, you must request it at the Registrar's Office ( Allow sufficient time for staff to process your request.
  • I was unsuccessful in my application to a M.Ed. program last year and want to re-apply this year. What documents are required?

    The Office of Research and Graduate Studies requires the following documents from applicants who are re-applying:

    • New application noting the student number from the previous application.
    • Application processing fee
    • Verify that the previous references/transcripts are in the School of Educaton - this applies only to the last two processing years.
    • Updated resume
    • If applicable, official transcript of academic work undertaken elsewhere since the initial Acadia application.

    When do I have to submit final grades?

    Final grades must be submitted within 10 working days of the end of your course.

    Can I have an office and computer?

    Office space and the use of a computer can be arranged if required. Please let us know as soon as possible if you require an office or computer.

    Where can I get my course materials photocopied?

    Please speak to your Departmental Secretary regarding copying. You will be advised of the location of the copier and any user codes required to make copies.

    When will I receive my class list?

    Class lists are available when you login to Acadia Central. If you are teaching an MEd course, your class list will be emailed to you approximately 10 days prior to the start of your course.

    What are the rules for travel and other expense reimbursements?

    All travel and other expenses must be approved. Expense claims submitted without prior approval will not be processed.

    When will I receive my first paycheque?

    All faculty at Acadia are paid monthly. If your course spans several months, please contact Kelli Mahoney at Human Resources for more specific information. She can be reached at or 902-585-1633.

    Contact Us

    phone Phone: 902-585-1434
    Toll-Free: 1-800-565-6568
    Fax:  902-585-1057 
    phone Rhodes Hall, Attn: Open Acadia
    Acadia University
    Wolfville, NS 
    B4P 2R6
    Monday — Friday
    8:30am to 4:30pm AST